Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Appreciating the “Hard Headed Woman” by Cat Stevens.

The first time I heard that song many many moons ago, I just took a pause and breathed out a sigh. How wonderful it is to hear a song about male persona pining for a “hard headed woman”. Most songs describe women in a nutshell – beautiful but difficult, seductive and dangerous, or desirable but taken. But this one by Cats Stevens (Yusuf Islam) describes how I would like to be appreciated.


Albeit there are women who would be described as “fancy dancers” yet have nothing to offer:

"I know a lot of fancy dancers,
people who can glide you on a floor,
They move so smooth but have no answers.
When you ask "Why'd you come here for?"
"I don't know" "Why?"

It’s rare to hear a song in which the man appears to praise the woman for her mind rather than her body.

"I'm looking for a hard headed woman,
One who will take me for myself,
And if I find my hard headed woman,
I will need nobody else, no, no. "

It’s even rarer to hear a song describe the woman as one who pushes him to outdo himself, and he feels blessed to have that in his life:

"I'm looking for a hard headed woman,
One who will make me do my best,
And if I find my hard headed woman
I know the rest of my life will be blessed -- yes, yes, yes."

But of course the man will not be a man if he didn’t want his woman to be able to make him “feel so good”, and that is fine too ;).

"I'm looking for a hard headed woman,
One who will make me feel so good,
And if I find my hard headed woman,
I know my life will be as it should -- yes, yes, yes. "

Here’s hoping my man reads this blog post and appreciates the “hard headed” me :)

1 comment:

hishamh said...

Yes, dear, you're appreciated. xxx.